Friday, August 16, 2024

Best Picture of 1958

We've reached the end of another year of Oscar nominees, so once again, it's time for my verdict. I must say this wasn't a clear-cut decision. There's something to love about all these films so it wasn't immediately obvious to me which one I'd select as my favourite. So let's break it down, shall we?

The nominees for Best Picture of 1958 are:
  • Auntie Mame
  • Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  • The Defiant Ones
  • Gigi
  • Separate Tables
Of the five nominees, only one is an original screenplay, while the rest are based on a play or a novel or both. Two films are stylishly extravagant spectacles full of brightly-coloured fashion and lavish sets. Two others are dramatic stage adaptations, intimate and emotional.

Let's deal with the spectacles first. Both Auntie Mame and Gigi are entertaining and a feast for the eyes (and, in Gigi's case, the ears). Gigi's toe-tapping music helps to make it my pick of that pair, and while I don't fault the Academy for selecting it as their Best Picture, it's not my favourite of this bunch. The stage adaptations are harder to separate. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Separate Tables are both powerful explorations of the human psyche with captivating performances. But again, as intensely moving as they are, there's another picture that edges them out in my estimation.

With its socially conscious themes mixed with adventure and drama, as well as a top-notch cast and script, The Defiant Ones is a brilliant piece of engaging cinema. As such, it can now officially be named my favourite Best Picture nominee of 1958.
Best Picture of 1958
Academy's choice:

Gigi

Matt's choice:

The Defiant Ones


Your choice:


Don't agree with me? Make your voice heard by voting in the poll above. Meanwhile, we're moving on to the most recent year this blog has yet tackled. In fact, it'll be the first time I've reviewed films that were released after I began this project.

And the nominees for Best Picture of 2010 are:
  • 127 Hours
  • Black Swan
  • The Fighter
  • Inception
  • The Kids Are All Right
  • The King's Speech
  • The Social Network
  • Toy Story 3
  • True Grit
  • Winter's Bone
Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. RTJhimself agrees with David Thomson that GIGI was the second-best Minnelli movie of 1958, outshone by SOME CAME RUNNING

    ReplyDelete